Monday, March 23, 2015

Whispers From The Engineer



















It was a train ride and I held the brakes                     
I turned the nozzle, I scoped the lines                                   
I turned the curves and pounded time                                   
As we shuttled past the railroad stakes                     

The engine ground, the piston pined
And whined within its steely gates
I counted stocky wind-turbines
Flailing at us from a ways away

I shut an eye, the other fluttered
Signs were bland and very vague
Little ladies talked and tittered
Men read pamphlets children played

Droning, droning ever forward
In the milky, sleepy dull
The coals cried dry and wispy whimpers
In the cistern’s muggy lull

I watched a light show from my window
It was the train light’s flashing X’s
I was dazzled then my vexes
Faded black and faded slow

I went where most people go
I didn’t know anything anymore
But they did, all the rest on board
They saw us heading past the shore

We danced on tight ropes not ballast
I knew nothing of our waltz
I tell you it was not my fault!
I was not conscious of our stance

I felt a rush that woke me up
A siren squealed and jarred me
My heart burned hot, my blood caught fire
I cast the light upon the water
  
I could see the end I could hear them wail
They clutched their children by them
They prayed to God to save their lives,
I prayed to God He’d hear them

The water caught us, cold and fast
We stayed afloat on perilous pillows
We were blindfolded under steaming billows
And sunk into the watery pasture

Pleas and calls drowned out forever
They departed to eternal stations
Save me, I was carried on the waters
By a Hand with expectations

Where the locomotive sank
I now return to squat
Bowing towards the wreckage,
Stooping on the dock
Whispering rueful sentiments
Mixing my tears with the ocean’s salt
They’ll not hear but I wish to tell them “Sorry”
For, in truth, it was my fault

1 comment:

  1. I think this has great scope to turn into a song.
    It's quite lovely

    ReplyDelete